This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

EMAIL ECSB's Gerald Boone Rejects Humanist Leader Offering Invocation

I'll credit Mr Boone for at least answering, though offering no legal justification for his rejection.  Too bad he still considers it his privilege to censor out invocation offers he doesn't like, while seeking out Christians to offer (illegal) prayers which contradict the school's own policy of having a moment of silence.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Gerald Boone <gboone@escambia.k12.fl.us>
To: Buz Ryland
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: Escambia Schools

Mr. Ryland,

There is no application process for presenting the invocation at the school Board Meetings.  It is simply the choice of the Board member whose turn it is to make the selection.  It is my turn for the September meeting, and I will not need your service.  Furthermore, the individuals I have chosen in months past have not invoked their beliefs for my consideration when I am confronted with decision making.

Sent from my iPad


On Aug 14, 2014, at 8:43 PM, "Andre Ryland" <bamoteun@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Mr. Boone,

    I am Celebrant Andre Ryland of 8355 Banberry Rd. Pensacola 32514, and I am sincerely interested in offering the "Opening Words/Invocation" for an upcoming Escambia County School District meeting.  I ask you how I might go about applying for the role. 
   These invocations, to my knowledge, are a common occurrence most often done by religious leaders invoking their beliefs for your consideration when making decisions.  I as a Humanist Celebrant would be requesting you the board  members make the best decisions you can with the education and knowledge you have attained, without prejudice.  I ask this so that even we of minority philosophic thinking might still, with equality, be included in all governmental considerations.
    Would you consider me for your Invocations please?

Sincerely,
Cel. Andre Ryland
Humanists of West Florida
850-293-9824

No comments:

Post a Comment