This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

EMAIL: ECSB's Bergosh Responds to (Rejects) Humanist Invocation Offer

Once again, Bergosh cites personal privilege and the beliefs of the board as justification for excluding religions from equal treatment at a government function.  Apparently, he needs some better legal advice.  He might also re-read the 1st amendment regarding establishing a religion and prohibiting the free exercise thereof.  Or he could just refer to the ECSD's own policy of not allowing prayer (except an inclusive individual moment of silence) at school functions where students are present.

From: Jeffrey Bergosh <Jbergosh@escambia.k12.fl.us>
To: Andre Ryland
Sent: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: ECSB Invocations

Andre,

Thanks for your honest reply.  I answer your question with a couple of my own.  Please answer honestly--of course you are under no obligation to do so.

Have you attended a meeting of the School Board of Escambia County, ever?  If so, when was the last time?
Yes, and most recent was Willie Spears night where I gave you some advice as a  person who has been elected
to municipal government, --- that your invocation policy has a problem, and I'm just trying to help you save some taxpayer $.

You mention a tutoring program.  Are you currently tutoring a student?  If so, how long?
No, but I and a number of others are interested.  Would we with university degrees not qualify due to our philosophies?

You ask, "Can we just never be friends?"  I think that is an unfair question;  as a public official, it is part of my job to undertake outreach with the constituents, which I do.  Thus this email.  I am a friendly person, and If I met you I'm certain we would get along just fine.  With this said, I would need to know a lot more about you before I would call you a friend. 
Friends share commonalities, friends share values, friends share vision.  Friends are friends unconditionally, once they are trusted.  I do not know you, therefore how can I consider you a friend?


My apologies---I was just wondering if anyone like me could ever be considered a friend.  If we choose to disagree, like
many in history have done, and yet still be friendly, but I see your requirements.




But let me ask you one final question.  Must I bring a person off the street that I do not know as my personal invitee to bring a pre-meeting prayer on my behalf in order to prove I am a good and just person?  Putting someone like you ahead of MANY friends I do already have that share my beliefs--is that fair to them?
I would have no problem with you doing it just this way in a side chapel room that is not open to the public. Then "someone like me" would never be heard from ever again. 

If I chose to bring someone that shares my faith, and that of the entire board, over someone like you that nobody on the board shares a common religion with--does this make me unjust.
Not at all if this were your church---it would make absolute sense.

Remember the context, Andre;  These prayers are for the benefit of the elected legislative body--not to satisfy some religious litmus test.  So, again I ask--if I don't choose you but instead choose someone that is my friend, somebody I know, who shares a common religion with my peers-how is this wrong?
Again, it is not wrong in a religious setting and I defend your right to the freedom of religion and to worship how you choose.  So if they are for the body then have them just for the body and not the general public. SCOTUS has said if you have invocations for the body, open to the public, you must allow the public to also invoke you the body without discrimination.

These are important questions the answers for which I would like to know from your perspective.

Have a great day!   Thanks, and you too.  Andre

Jeff B.

Jeff Bergosh
Escambia County School Board
District 1 Board Representative
850-469-6147
www.jeffbergoshblog.blogspot.com
jbergosh@escambia.k12.fl.us

>>> Andre Ryland  10/06/14 3:45 PM >>>
Jeff,      My interest is at least three fold. 
I am a  taxpayer. I am concerned about conflicts of interest and illegalities by public officials.  Finally, our organization and members are interested in tutoring programs for at needs children.
I am the President and Celebrant of the Humanists of West Florida.  Are we not acceptable?
Are you suggesting none of these are worthwhile or good enough concerns regarding our public schools?
Can we just never be friends?
Let me know,Andre

From: Jeffrey Bergosh
To: Andre Ryland
Sent: Monday, October 6, 2014 7:04 AM
Subject: Re: ECSB Invocations
 
Andre,

Thanks for your interest, BTW--do you have any connections to our public school system?  Typically, I select folks that have either a strong connection to the schools or a personal friend.  Have you, are you, at all involved in our schools and what it is that we do?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff B

Jeff Bergosh
Escambia County School Board
District 1 Board Representative
850-469-6147
www.jeffbergoshblog.blogspot.com
jbergosh@escambia.k12.fl.us


>>> Andre Ryland  10/05/14 16:48 PM >>>
Dear Mr Bergosh,
    Hello again,
    I am Celebrant Andre Ryland of <address> Pensacola 32514, and I am still interested in offering the Invocation for upcoming Escambia County School District meetings. 
    I, as a Humanist Celebrant, would be requesting you the board  members make the best decisions you can with the education, knowledge and experience you have attained, without prejudice.  I ask this so that even we of minority philosophic thinking might still, with equality, be included in all governmental considerations for invocations per the Supreme Court of the United States.
    Would you consider me for an Invocation please?
Sincerely,Cel. Andre RylandHumanists of West Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment