This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Escambia County Commission gets Letter from Freedom for Religion Foundation attorney Andrew Seidel

I've been working with FFRF when I have questions about approaching and changing invocations.  After too much back and forth and no results from the Escambia County Commission (I'll post some emails later), Andrew wrote a letter about the stone-walling, discrimination, illegal coercion and staff prayers.

Let me tell you, I've made every effort to reach out to the BOCC without any help.  I spoke with commissioners when they would call back.  I met with the County Attorney and listed my concerns.  I've written emails weekly, re-iterating my requests (and refusals) to do an invocation, and alerting them to the illegal staff-lead prayers, coercion and trying to censor my "content".  Nothing has changed.  Commissioner Robertson straight-up rejected my offer, saying knew enough preachers and didn't need me.

For now, I've badgered the BOCC enough to get an invocation in September.  Thank you, Lumon May.  It will be a cool Pagan invocation ritual.  Not surprisingly, another commissioner's assistant promised me the spot at an earlier meeting, but not in writing.  Now he is not confirming that date.

FYI: ECSB frequently has repeat speakers - once three times in a row by the same pastor and again a meeting later.  1 in 5 invocations since 2012 were delivered by the same staff member (the 'backup').  Are there that many no-shows?  Is a moment of silence not good enough?  

I shared this with the Pensacola City attorney and administrator, as well as the School Board and their staff.  No response or major changes yet.

Anyway, here's the letter: http://imgur.com/ptcfT3B,A0GDoeB,fYmPfk0




No comments:

Post a Comment