This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

email exchange with Jeff Bergosh - ECSB

MY REPLY 2:

Jeff, 

I feel certain your Rabbi friend - a minority believer like me - would not offer an invocation if aware that 1) it's illegal for a school board to lead the public or students prayer, and 2) he was chosen over other minorities who requested a chance to offer an invocation, but were refused for religious reasons.

I hope you've informed him that he is there for diversity, after ONLY Christian speakers were invited for YEARS. Also, he was invited only after this became an issue. Essentially, he is a token for others who are not welcome. I'm also certain that if his religion wasn't based on the Bible and shared by your savior, he would not be welcome. That's the boat I'm in. 

I'd love to speak to your Rabbi friend and explain these circumstances so he can speak with full knowledge of the situation. As a fellow religious minority and a learned man, I'm certain I could convince him inside 10 minutes that he should not participate. My number is below. Please ask him to call for my perspective.

David


MY REPLY 1:

Jeff, 

Sure, you're about diversity EXCEPT when Humanists, Pagans or atheists ask to offer an invocation. Then you overlook their requests and seek out others whose religions aren't 'offensive' (ie, they pray to your God or they aren't a prayer).

If you were interested in diversity, you would accept the offers you've had FOR MONTHS. Better yet, you would not ask ANYONE to pray against their beliefs. A moment of silence of silence would also be inclusive and respect diversity. 

The last two months were an improvement as they did not hold up one form of prayer over others. Instead, the 'invocations' offered were relevant to the school system. I'm sorry you can't follow your board's own policies - regarding school prayer AND religious discrimination. 

Meantime, I simply ask for a clarification of your invocation policy. There is no written policy. Considering the legal peril you court with your current system, why is a written policy so hard to develop?

Best Regards, 

David

PS Have you told your (first ever) token Jew that he was chosen over Pagans, humanists and atheists who requested an invocation? I suggest you do, as I will be discussing his role in ECSB's religious discrimination. 



JEFF BERGOSH REPLY:

Dave,

We are all about diversity in this district. Last month, we had the future farmers of America oath instead of a Christian prayer. The month before that, we had a story about geese, instead of a Christian prayer. Tonight we will have a guest bring the pre-meeting prayer that is not of the Christian faith, he is a Jewish Rabbi and a great person. We are doing this to be inclusive and diverse.


Dave, we are all about diversity in this district--don't you know that by now? If you don't, you should.
Jeff Bergosh
Escambia County School Board 
District 1 Board Representative
850-469-6147



ORIGINAL LETTER:


Ms Waters, et al, 
 
Can you please tell me if the school board has developed any kind of policy regarding invocations before ECSB meetings?  Since September, I've been asking the ECSB to clarify how you can continue the invocation without discriminating against religious minorities.  So far, no such policy has been published.  So far, several minorities have been refused an equal chance to pray before the board - myself included.
 
You might look to the Indian River (Florida) School District.  They recently voted in a policy which rotates between local faith groups.  The discussion is also informative.  Like the previous four court cases involving school board prayer, their policy will be ruled illegal.  However, it might help develop your policy, as well as codify it for the public and allow some public discussion.
 
Since this item is still listed on the agenda, I renew my request to deliver an invocation during the proper time.  But, as long as the invocation is set to continue, I will prepare an alternative invocation for non-Biblical faiths and non-believers.  Since none was offered at the last two meetings (thank you Ms Hightower, Mr Slayton for your restraint), I've offered no alternative. I hope this trend will continue.  Is this a chance in policy or simply wisdom exercised by some board member?  Again, no one knows.  Please inform us.
 
As ever, I remain available with a Pagan invocation reflecting my own beliefs, should such non-Biblical prayers be allowed - as Galloway v Greece says it must.  If this will never be granted, I would appreciate an official explanation as to why not.  I welcome your email, phone call or a personal meeting.
 
Best Regards, 
 
David Suhor
850 512-2220

No comments:

Post a Comment