This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Monday, September 15, 2014

EMAILS - Escambia Commissioner Wilson Robertson (ILLEGALLY) Won't Accept Minority Invocations

EMAILS BELOW!  

Here's a good example of the kind of stonewalling (and eventual rejection) that happens when minorities ask to deliver invocations for the Escambia County Commission.  This is ILLEGAL and UNCONSTITUTIONAL.  Accord to Galloway v Greece NY, the BOCC may not practice discrimination in choosing prayers at public meetings.

Of note: Mr Robertson had Rev. George Clyde deliver his invocation on August 21 2014.  This guy is a repeat from less than a year ago.  Watch his OVER-THE-TOP prayer and tell me why he was even invited back:

I was last allowed to deliver an invocation TWO years ago (by another commissioner).  It was Pagan, but they were expecting Xtian. I started asking again in April of 2014.  Mr Robertson (eventually) rejected my offer.  ALL commissioners also have requests from several other minority religions.  One outgoing commissioner accepted an offer from a Humanist (a Navy ensign), just last week, ignoring others!  

This is not the only violation of Galloway v Greece by the BOCC.  They also regularly have employees lead (endorse) the invocation.  One fella spoke 1 of every 5 times for the last two years!  Sometimes they ask the audience to stand.  The REAL problem here is that they choose who gives the invocation as a matter of PERSONAL privilege and political patronage.  They often choose the SAME PERSON over and over.  One preacher spoke at 3 consecutive meetings (and 4th a month later).  Yet, there is no room for minority offers?  The only fair way to do this is a rotation, free of commissioners' influence, and starting with those who request the chance, then seeking out others.  They should also issue some Galloway-directed guidelines for content.  No more damnation, converting or denigrating!

Yes, the BOCC has received a letter from the FFRF.  No response yet.  It's here in my blog too.  

Once again, I am calling for an inclusive moment of silence at ALL local board meetings.  This would respect ALL beliefs (and none at all) and still set aside time for people to pray for the meeting, but in their own way.  

PS  I'm grateful that Lumon May is not so discriminatory.  After some cajoling, he is allowing me to deliver my Pagan invocation on September 25th!  It will be solemn and appropriate, if sectarian.  We won't know who else will be allowed to pray at the BOCC until after the election, when most commissioners said they will consider requests again.  


7-17-2014
From District 1 Office

Mr. Suhor.

Commissioner Robertson asked that I tell you that he has lived in Escambia County 55 years.  He has a list of friends in the ministry which will last him through the end of his term as commissioner.

Illauna Brazwell, Aide
Commissioner Wilson Robertson
District 1
221 Palafox Place, Suite 400
Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone: (850) 595-4910
Fax: (850) 595-0478

From: David Suhor
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:17 PM
To: Illauna B. Brazwell
Cc: District1
Subject: Re: invocation request


OK.  Thanks for letting me know. 

Maybe I need to ask this a different way, since Mr Robertson’s spots seem to fill, even though I first asked over 6 weeks ago.
When is the next available spot on Commissioner Robertson’s schedule?  May I please reserve that opportunity?
I hope you observe a first-come-first-serve rotation.  If not, is there some other criteria I need to fill to be included?

Best Regards,

David Suhor
850 512-2220

Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:59 PM
To: David Suhor
Cc: District1
Subject: RE: invocation request

Mr. Suhor, Commissioner Robertson has someone to deliver the invocation on October23rd.

Illauna Brazwell, Aide
Commissioner Wilson Robertson
District 1
221 Palafox Place, Suite 400
Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone: (850) 595-4910
Fax: (850) 595-0478

From: David Suhor
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:10 PM
To: Illauna B. Brazwell
Cc: District1
Subject: Re: invocation request

Ms Brazwell,

I am writing to renew my request.  May I please deliver the invocation for Commissioner Robertson at his next opportunity – presumably October 23rd?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated.

David Suhor
850 512-2220

From: David
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:51 PM
Cc: District1
Subject: Re: invocation request, August 7

Mr Brazwell,

OK, thanks anyway.  Did she/he ask before I first did on June 2?  Correct that, I asked on April 29th also. 
How about on another opportunity?  Has October 23rd been spoken for? 

Best Regards,

David Suhor

  

Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:17 AM
To: David
Cc: District1
Subject: RE: invocation request, August 7

Mr. Suhor, Commissioner Robertson has someone to deliver the invocation on August 7th. Thank you.

Illauna Brazwell, Aide
Commissioner Wilson Robertson
District 1
221 Palafox Place, Suite 400
Pensacola, FL 32502
Phone: (850) 595-4910
Fax: (850) 595-0478

From: David Suhor
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 2:17 PM
To: District1
Cc: Legal
Subject: Re: invocation request, August 7
Importance: High

Commissioner Robertson, et al,

Once again (for the 5th time since June 3rd), I am requesting that I be allowed to deliver the invocation the next time Mr Robertson is afforded the opportunity to appoint someone to do so.  August 7th comes to mind.

Since I have not received a response, I’d like to remind you that the Supreme Court recently ruled (in Galloway v Greece NY) that the Board of County Commissioners must welcome an invocation by anyone who wishes to give one, regardless of their faith.  My invocation will not be exclusively Christian, like the 47 consecutive prayers offered since I last delivered an invocation August of 2012. 

I beg your prompt response.  Please feel free to call if you need further clarification.

Best Regards,

David Suhor
850 512-2220




From: David
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: invocation request, August 7

Commissioner Robertson, et al,

I would appreciate a response to my request.  It has been nearly a month since I first asked.
I stand prepared to deliver an invocation for Commissioner Robertson at the earliest available opportunity.

Best Regards,

David Suhor
850 512-2220

From: David
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: invocation request, August 7

Your response would be appreciated.

From: David Suhor
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: invocation request, August 7

Commissioner Robertson,

I haven’t heard back from you, so I’d like to re-iterate my request. 
It has been over two years since I’ve delivered an invocation.  Will you allow me to deliver one in your upcoming slot?
Please feel free to contact me directly via email with your answer.

Best Regards,

David Suhor


From: David
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 3:08 PM
Subject: invocation request, August 7

Commissioner Robertson,

I would like to offer to deliver the Invocation at the August 7th County Commission meeting.  According to the schedule I received, that date is yours to fill.
It would be my honor.

Please contact me to let me know whether I can be of service in this way.

Best Regards,

David Suhor
850 512-2220

No comments:

Post a Comment