This is the APPLE Biter Blog, commentary and news on local religion and secular government.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Patty Hightower, Escambia County School Board, Accepts my Invocation, Then Unsure, Then Rescinds it at Meeting

9-12-2014, email from David

Mrs Hightower,

If it would help alleviate your fears, I would be happy to send you the text of the invocation I plan to deliver in November or December - providing you allow me to deliver your next invocation AND your fellow board members accept the offers of other minorities offering to deliver invocations,in the order received.  Then you could be sure my invocation is not "offensive".  Though I don't believe that censorship is the solution, I hope this will resolve any question of the propriety of my invocation.

Also, will you please write me (as promised) with the reason you have rescinded my invitation to deliver an invocation on your turn?

As ever, I welcome your correspondence by phone, email or in person.

Best Regards,

David Suhor



9-11-14

At this point, I attended the ECSB meeting on 9-11-14.  In person (on official video), Mrs Hightower rescinds her invitation (dull surprise).  Afterward, she tells me it was 'personal', not religious, because she didn't trust me not to offend the audience.  I asked, but she wouldn't commit to considering other minorities who offered invocations soon after me.

To her credit, Mrs Hightower said during the board discussion (also on video), that she did not want to continue the current practice (choosing invocations by personal and religious preference = Biblical) if it would result in a legal fight.  I am hoping she won't find a moment of silence 'offensive', because that is the only inclusive, constitutional solution that allows prayer to continue.



-----Original Message-----
From: "Patricia Hightower" [phightower@escambia.k12.fl.us]
Date: 08/21/2014 07:48 AM
Subject: Re: invocation request

As I told you before, the November meeting will be preceded by the installation of board members elected this year.  We have,in the past, let them select, but it will be discussed at the September or October meeting.


Patty Hightower
Escambia School Board
District 4
850-469-6265
75 N Pace Blvd
Pensacola, FL 32505
Sent from my iPad


SORRY, CONTENT APPARENTLY MISSING   I'll look for it.
At this point (maybe by phone) she said that if there is a new SB member in November, that person will have the prerogative of choosing who should pray for them at their first meeting.  Then Mrs Hightower's choice of invocation speaker would be pushed to December.   I might have asked for clarification after.


> Commissioner Hightower,
>
> I think I had the date of your next invocation slot wrong.  Is it November 18th?  If so, I am available after all, if you'll have me.  I'd prefer to speak sooner, but Mr Boone has refused and I've had no answer from Ms Moultrie.
>
> Also, I really appreciate the variety you've inserted into the invocations you've offered.  Though you've had only majority-religion prayers, I think the poetry you've injected sets a more appropriate and less divisive tone.  Thank you.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best Regards,
> David Suhor
>
>
>

At this point, I delivered my comments to the Open Forum at an ECSB meeting.  I had the date wrong and thought I had a previous engagement.  I said so at the meeting.  I had to correct that in the next email.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: "Patricia Hightower" [phightower@escambia.k12.fl.us]
> Date: 08/12/2014 02:23 PM
> Subject: =?utf-8?B?UmU6IGludm9jYXRpb24gcmVxdWVzdA====?>
> Not at all.  I will need to know how to introduce you when the time arises.
>
> Patty Hightower
> Escambia School Board
> District 4
> 850-469-6265
> 75 N Pace Blvd
> Pensacola, FL 32505
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Aug 12, 2014, at 2:05 PM, David wrote:
>>
>> Ms Hightower,
>>
>> I would be honored to be included in the invocation at your next opportunity.
>> To answer your question - yes, I am affiliated (unofficially) with the Pagan community of Pensacola, among others.  I have also worked for several churches (as a musician).  I am agnostic.  In my private time, I explore and study several religious traditions, any of whose blessings I would be happy to share in an invocation setting.
>>
>> Will my religious affiliation be a problem in delivering an invocation?
>>
>> David Suhor


> On Aug 12, 2014, at 2:05 PM, David wrote:

> Ms Hightower,

> I would be honored to be included in the invocation at your next opportunity.
> To answer your question - yes, I am affiliated (unofficially) with the Pagan community of Pensacola, among others. I have also worked for several churches (as a musician). I am agnostic. In my private time, I explore and study several religious traditions, any of whose blessings I would be happy to share in an invocation setting. 

> Will my religious affiliation be a problem in delivering an invocation?

> David Suhor



content missing - she accepts and asks my affiliation


> On Aug 8, 2014, at 1:42 PM, David wrote:

> Ms Hightower, 

> I would be honored to offer an invocation at the next meeting of the school board for which you sponsor the invocation. I hope you will allow me.

> Best Regards, 

> David Suhor
>>



No comments:

Post a Comment